Established in 2010, REACH is Edmonton's Council for Safe Communities.
REACH has a mandate, in one generation, to:
- Significantly reduce crime rates in Edmonton
- Increase citizens' sense of safety
- Engage the citizens of Edmonton in crime prevention activities
Our Vision (what we aspire to)
A city we are proud of, in a region which is harmonious, where all people, including the first peoples on whose lands we reside, are included, feel safe, and are safe.
Our Mission (the reason we exist)
To strengthen community safety in our city and region through innovative ideas, building relationships and inspiring action.
Who We Are
REACH is a backbone, community-based organization working to mobilize and coordinate organizations, community groups and Edmontonians to find innovative solutions to prevention and community safety.
As a backbone organization REACH:
- Provides overall strategic direction with stakeholders
- Facilitates dialogue between partners
- Manages data collection and analysis
- Handles communications
- Coordinates community outreach
- Mobilizes funding
How We Work
REACH conducts its work through community involvement, stakeholder engagement and inter-agency collaboration. We aim to:
- Heighten the efficiency of current social programs and funding streams to better integrate programs
- Find and fill any service gaps in the current system
- Engage citizens in developing solutions
REACH has collective impact. We foster social change; a new way of thinking about and working to solve complex social issues to ensure our communities are safer.
Our Core Values
- POTENTIAL: We can make this community a place where all people feel safe.
- PREVENTION: Sustained investment in prevention yields the greatest efficiencies and social returns.
- INCLUSION: All members of society have the right to equal access to the services they require, free of systemic barriers.
- RELATIONSHIPS: Building positive relationships is the cornerstone of our work.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We manage with openness and commit to ongoing evaluation which is central to our success.
- GENEROSITY: When we have solutions that work, we share the information, we mobilize the knowledge and we build capacity in other organizations to be successful.