This workshop will focus on understanding of the pre-migration experiences of immigrant and refugee families and youth, and will provide simple strategies to work with people affected with trauma. Areas of discussion will also include role changes in newcomer families and the effects on the couple relationship, children and youth.
• Gain a better understanding of the pre-migration experiences of immigrant and refugee children and families
• Learn how these experiences shape behaviour and perception
• Understand the role changes and their effects on newcomer families
• Gain an understanding of trauma and how it affects the nervous system and behaviour and perception
• Learn simple strategies for working with refugee families and youth
• Learn simple strategies for working with people affected by trauma
About the Facilitator:
Karin Linschoten is the Clinical Director for counseling services at the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers as well as team lead for psychotherapists at the Multicultural Health Brokers. She has been providing services for adults, youth and children from immigrant and refugee backgrounds since 2002. From 2013 - 2016 she was the representative for Canada on the International Council for Rehabilitation of Torture Victims.